We have been involved in European research projects for 8 years. We have participated in 14 projects (H2020, ECSEL, ITEA, BMBF) supporting their activities of dissemination, community building, and exploitation of open-source software.
We have had successes and also failures. In both cases, we learned a lot about how to provide better support to our partners, their projects, and the results produced.
In this presentation we would like to share with you a return of experience over the last 8 years in order to better understand:
- The motivations of these projects to invite an Open-Source foundation to participate in a research project,
- The motivations of the foundation to accept the invitation or even to suggest it,
- The challenges faced by the partners when it comes to open-sourcing during the project
- The solutions that the Eclipse Foundation has put in place to facilitate the adoption of Open-Source best practices
- Some significant examples of success or failure, including an open-source project that successfully moved from the research phase to being used in industry
Publishing your research results with an open source foundation